The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has unanimously reaffirmed its support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino, setting it apart from football authorities in Europe, North America and Asia as he seeks re-election in March next year.
CAF’s Executive Committee confirmed its position on Thursday, offering Infantino significant backing as he deals with the strongest revolt of his presidency. The decision came on the same day UEFA said it was committed to boycotting future World Cups at all levels while Infantino remains in office.
CAF represents 54 of FIFA’s 211 member associations and is one of the most influential voting blocs in world football. Its members have largely supported Infantino since he became FIFA president in 2016.
“The CAF EXCO unanimously reconfirmed its support for FIFA President Gianni Infantino and thanked him for his support for African football over the years,” CAF said in a statement.
CAF president Patrice Motsepe also welcomed FIFA’s pledge to review the processes that led to the controversy surrounding an abandoned plan to sell a stake in the commercial future of the World Cup.
The proposal, linked to the establishment of the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), prompted national federations to complain that they had been excluded from the decision-making process. Its withdrawal has not ended the wider criticism of Infantino, who has faced near global condemnation over the plan.
Motsepe said CAF supported a joint statement issued by Infantino and FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom.
“CAF welcomes and endorses the “Joint Update” by FIFA President Gianni Infantino and Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom,” Motsepe said, while also emphasising the importance of transparency and proper governance in global football.
“We are committed to continue working together with FIFA, its member associations, other football Confederations and stakeholders to safeguard and adhere to governance, due process, and transparency global best practises and to contribute to the development and growth of football worldwide.”
The backing from CAF is a major source of support for Infantino as he prepares for the election next March. It follows statements from five prominent African football figures earlier this week, who supported the FIFA president and welcomed the decision to abandon the plan to sell a stake in future World Cup revenue.
CAF vice-president Fouzi Lekjaa of Morocco and FIFA Council members Hany Abo Rida of Egypt, Hamidou Djibrilla of Niger and Ahmed Yahya of Mauritania all said they would support Infantino.
Veron Mosengo-Omba, who was recently elected president of the football federation in the Democratic Republic of Congo and previously served as CAF general secretary, also backed him.
Motsepe had offered strong support for Infantino just days before details of the proposed World Cup commercial rights sale triggered the current crisis.
“I personally support Gianni Infantino,” he said. “He’s not just a good friend. He’s a loyal friend. He’s loyal to Africa. I come from a background where when people have been loyal to you, you never stab them in the back.”