Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

PSG target sixth straight Ligue 1 title as rivals hope for unlikely challenge

Published: 51 minutes ago
Archives

Paris Saint-Germain begin the new Ligue 1 campaign as overwhelming favourites to win a sixth consecutive French championship, despite a number of clubs believing they can finally end their domestic dominance.

The French champions are also the holders of the last two editions of the Champions League and have strengthened their squad with several high-profile arrivals.

Among them is Spain forward Ferran Torres, who scored the only goal in last month’s World Cup final. PSG coach Luis Enrique believes the forward can make an immediate impact in a number of attacking roles.

“Ferran is an international-level player,” Luis Enrique said. “He fits perfectly with what we’re looking for. He can ‌play anywhere in attack, with a great mentality.”

PSG have also signed Maghnes Akliouche and Lucas Digne, who were both part of France’s World Cup squad, as well as Belgium international Mika Godts from Ajax Amsterdam.

The club’s Qatari-backed finances have allowed them to keep attracting leading players as they chase a 15th French league title and a sixth in succession.

PSG forced to move opening fixture

Their opening match against Stade Rennais, scheduled for Sunday, has been moved from Parc des Princes after extreme summer heat left the pitch unsafe.

PSG notified France’s professional football league (LFP) on Monday that the playing surface was in poor condition. A specialist inspection subsequently found that the pitch was unfit for play, according to the LFP.

The game will now take place at Rennes’ Roazhon Park.

A person familiar with the matter told Reuters that the intense heat had prevented the grass from developing properly. PSG grow their pitch from seed instead of laying it as rolled turf, while the concrete structure of Parc des Princes made the conditions even more severe, the source added.

Lens lead the chasing pack

PSG’s authority was given a rare challenge last weekend when they were beaten by Racing Lens in the Trophee des Champions.

Lens finished second in Ligue 1 last season, six points behind PSG, and also won the French Cup. They have lost their coach Pierre Sage to Crystal Palace, but German manager Dino Toppmoller began his tenure with victory in the season-opening super cup match.

That result has encouraged the clubs hoping to mount a serious title challenge, although PSG remain clear favourites.

Lille finished third last season, earning direct qualification for the group phase of the Champions League. They have appointed 36-year-old Davide Ancelotti as their new manager.

Monaco, meanwhile, have turned to former Brazil international Filipe Luis after a disappointing seventh-place finish last season. The club have also parted company with injury-plagued midfielder Paul Pogba, who made little impact during the previous campaign.

Olympique de Marseille have finished as runners-up to PSG twice in the past five seasons, but they appear to be beginning a longer-term rebuild under new manager Bruno Genesio, who arrived from Lille. Marseille have not won the league since 2010 and start their campaign at home against Racing Strasbourg on Friday.

Troyes and Le Mans are the two newly promoted teams, replacing Nantes and Metz. Nice retained their top-flight status by beating Saint-Etienne over two legs in the promotion-relegation play-off at the end of May.

For all the ambition among PSG’s rivals, the champions’ squad depth, resources and recent European success mean they start the season with the expectation of extending their remarkable run at the top of French football.

author avatar
Andrews Sefa Bamfo

Latest Story

33 seconds ago
Archives

Alvaro Arbeloa warns friendship with Xabi Alonso will be put aside in Fulham-Chelsea derby

0
0
55 seconds ago
Archives

Matteo Dams poised to leave Al Ahli for Club Brugge after just 18 months

0
0
1 minute ago
Archives

Chivu warns Inter Milan must handle title pressure as Lautaro transfer talk continues

0
0
2 minutes ago
Archives

FIFA bans Paredes for 10 matches after Argentina-Spain final clash

0
0
2 minutes ago
Archives

Cristiano Ronaldo back in Al Nassr squad after season-opening absence

0
0
3 minutes ago
Archives

Denzel Dumfries signs Real Madrid deal until 2030 as right-back competition intensifies

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE