Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

Constituency Games could be Ghana’s biggest sports initiative since independence – NSA director

Published: 50 minutes ago
Archives

National Sports Authority Director-General Yaw Ampofo Ankrah says Ghana’s planned Constituency Games could become the country’s biggest sports intervention since independence.

Speaking at the Constituency Games Consultative Engagement and Endorsement Forum on Friday, 21 August 2026, Ampofo Ankrah said the programme was intended to reach every constituency and community across all regions of Ghana.

“I think this is going to be the greatest input or intervention in Ghana’s cause that we’ve seen since independence,” he said.

The initiative is being designed to expand access to organised sport beyond Ghana’s major urban centres, giving young people in communities across the country more opportunities to take part in regular competition.

Ampofo Ankrah said the programme could play an important role in strengthening the country’s grassroots sports structure. He argued that many talented young people currently lack access to organised competitions and the structured development opportunities needed to improve their abilities.

By bringing sporting activities closer to local communities, the Constituency Games are expected to encourage greater participation and create a wider system for identifying and nurturing emerging talent.

The NSA director-general also said the initiative could benefit Ghana’s national teams by providing a larger pool of athletes from which future players and competitors could be selected.

The programme is expected to give young people the opportunity to compete at constituency level while also promoting physical fitness, discipline, teamwork and social cohesion.

Call for media support

Ampofo Ankrah appealed to media practitioners to take ownership of the project by helping to promote it and offering ideas that could improve its implementation.

“It’s for you, my dear media colleagues. Let’s hold it, let’s embrace it, and let’s push it to the next level,” he urged.

He said the consultative forum had been organised to allow members of the media to share their views, ask questions and raise issues they believed needed further consideration before the programme was implemented.

The NSA director-general stressed that sustained media coverage would be essential to the success of the Constituency Games. He said publicity would help generate public interest, encourage participation and bring attention to talented athletes emerging from different constituencies.

He also assured journalists that their contribution to the development of the programme would be recognised and would not be taken for granted.

The organisers are consulting key stakeholders, including the media, as they seek input and wider support for the initiative. The engagement is intended to help shape the programme and strengthen its prospects of being implemented effectively across Ghana.

The Constituency Games are being positioned as a nationwide grassroots sports project, with the long-term aim of making organised sporting opportunities more accessible to communities throughout the country.

The source material also referred to the latest completed signings and transfer gossip in the Ghana Premier League.

author avatar
Mubarak Haruna

Latest Story

2 seconds ago
Archives

YEA beat NYA on penalties to win National Youth Month football gala

0
0
7 minutes ago
Archives

Three-goal Arsenal make commanding start to Premier League title defence

0
0
9 minutes ago
Archives

Football TV guide: Where to watch the main matches on Saturday, 22 August 2026

0
0
10 minutes ago
Archives

Angelo says midfield switch has unlocked his potential at Al Nassr

0
0
11 minutes ago
Archives

Julian Alvarez agent Fernando Hidalgo posts cryptic message amid Atletico Madrid transfer row

0
0
12 minutes ago
Archives

Arsenal strengthen Emirates record as Kai Havertz makes English football history

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE