Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

Manchester City given Friday deadline in Enzo Fernandez pursuit

Published: 1 week ago
Archives

Chelsea have told Manchester City they must submit a formal £120m bid for Enzo Fernandez by 17:00 BST on Friday if they want to sign the Argentina midfielder this summer.

According to The Athletic, Chelsea have informed both Manchester City and Fernandez’s representatives that the deadline will not be extended. If the required offer is not received by then, the London club’s position is that Fernandez will remain at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea value the 24-year-old at £120m, a figure worth about $161m, and insist that the valuation was communicated to Fernandez’s agent in May. The club believe the deadline gives Manchester City a clear choice, despite their strong interest in securing the midfielder’s services.

Manchester City are considering Fernandez as a possible replacement for Rodri, who is reportedly close to joining Barcelona in a move that is expected to take place soon. The Premier League club’s interest in Fernandez was previously revealed by The Athletic.

A further factor in Manchester City’s pursuit is Fernandez’s relationship with Enzo Maresca, who recently left Chelsea to take charge of the “Sky Blues”. Fernandez worked with the Italian coach during Maresca’s time at Chelsea, and the pair are understood to have maintained a good relationship since Maresca’s departure.

Chelsea’s decision to set a deadline comes as Fernandez’s future at the club remains unresolved. During the summer, Chelsea opted not to include him among the players considered “untouchable”, leaving open the possibility of a transfer if their financial demands are met.

Fernandez was suspended by Chelsea for two matches in April after comments he made while on international duty with Argentina. His remarks criticised some decisions made by the club’s management and included suggestions that were interpreted as indicating he could be open to moving to Real Madrid.

Talks over a new contract for the midfielder have also stalled. Earlier this year, his agent Javier Pastore said there had been no tangible progress in negotiations.

Fernandez remains under contract with Chelsea until 2032, giving the club a strong negotiating position if Manchester City make a formal approach. Chelsea’s long-term agreement with the player means any potential departure would require Manchester City to meet the London side’s valuation rather than simply negotiate from a position of contract uncertainty.

Fernandez has also been linked with Real Madrid, and his Chelsea team-mate Moises Caicedo previously encouraged him to remain at Stamford Bridge. That intervention came amid speculation about a possible move to the Spanish club.

For now, Chelsea’s stance is clear: unless Manchester City deliver a £120m offer before Friday’s deadline, Fernandez will stay with the London club. The outcome will also depend on whether Manchester City proceed with their interest in the midfielder as they plan for life after Rodri.

author avatar
Mubarak Haruna

Latest Story

40 seconds ago
Latest News

Ghana’s Black Princesses lose seven players to injury before U-20 World Cup

0
0
53 seconds ago
Latest News

Borteyman horse racing course at risk after reported destruction

0
0
1 minute ago
Latest News

David Oduro joins FC Annecy after two seasons with Barcelona

0
0
1 minute ago
Latest News

Asante Kotoko finish perfect Accra pre-season tour with narrow win over Sempa Fi

0
0
2 minutes ago
Latest News

Myst Water named hydration partner for 2026 Accra Inter-City Marathon

0
0
43 minutes ago
Archives

Hull City shock Manchester United in Premier League return

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE