Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

John Laryea apologises after disqualification ends unbeaten record

Published: 1 day ago
Archives

John “The Expensive Boxer” Laryea has apologised to his team, supporters and sponsors after a ninth-round disqualification brought his unbeaten professional record to an end in a WBA featherweight world-title eliminator.

The Ghanaian was disqualified by Puerto Rican referee Janny Guzman during his contest against Argentina’s Adrian Maximiliano Robledo at the Cupula Arena inside Casino Buenos Aires last Saturday. Robledo was awarded victory and moved closer to a potential world-title opportunity.

Laryea entered the fight with a record of 17-0-1, knowing that victory would put him in a strong position to challenge for a world championship. However, Robledo gradually took control of the contest and knocked Laryea down in the fifth round before the bout became increasingly disrupted by fouls.

According to the official fight record, Laryea was deducted a point in the seventh round and received warnings for other infringements. Two connected headbutts were not penalised, while two low blows also went unpunished before the Ghanaian committed another low blow in the ninth round.

That offence prompted Guzman to stop the contest and award Robledo victory by disqualification.

“I take full responsibility for my disqualification and I want to apologise to everyone I have disappointed with my actions and the outcome of the fight,” the statement said.

Laryea, a former two-time WBO Africa champion and the reigning IBF Continental Africa champion, also said he accepted the outcome and respected the sport’s decision.

The 24-year-old described the defeat as a setback rather than the conclusion of his career. He said he would review the performance with his team and work to make improvements tactically, mentally and physically.

“This loss is simply fuel for the next chapter,” he said, insisting that he and his team would return “stronger, sharper, and more focused.”

The result leaves Laryea with a professional record of 17-1-1 and ends his immediate opportunity to move towards a world-title challenge. His management team, however, maintains that the loss will not define his career and that his progress remains ongoing.

In a statement released by his management, Laryea thanked his team, promoters Legacy Rise Sports and his sponsors for their support. He also expressed gratitude to Ghanaian football legend Asamoah Gyan, who had backed his campaign.

Robledo’s victory gives him renewed momentum in the WBA featherweight division after the contest ended in controversial and dramatic circumstances. Laryea’s previous unbeaten record had stood at 17 wins and one draw before the disqualification in Buenos Aires.

The Ghanaian’s management said he would now focus on learning from the defeat and returning to competition after what had been a major opportunity in his professional career.

author avatar
Kwaku Nii

Latest Story

10 minutes ago
Archives

FAW chief Noel Mooney says Fifa president Gianni Infantino should resign

0
0
10 minutes ago
Archives

Marcus Rashford asks for focus as Manchester United future remains under scrutiny

0
0
11 minutes ago
Archives

Harry Kane plays down Premier League return as Bayern Munich future takes priority

0
0
11 minutes ago
Archives

Elisha Owusu joins Erzurumspor FK after leaving AJ Auxerre

0
0
12 minutes ago
Archives

Arsenal chief Garlick calls for swift clarity on Manchester City charges

0
0
12 minutes ago
Archives

Mourinho persuades Vinicius Jr to reject Real Madrid exit and sign new six-year deal

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE