Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

Chelsea’s new era depends on Cole Palmer finding his best form, says Xabi Alonso

Published: 1 day ago
Archives

Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso says the club’s hopes of achieving their ambitions this season depend heavily on Cole Palmer returning to his best.

Palmer, 24, enjoyed two outstanding campaigns after moving to Stamford Bridge, but his performances declined during the 2025-26 season as he struggled with injuries and a loss of fitness. The setback also contributed to his omission from the England squad for the recent World Cup, only two years after he scored a memorable goal for the Three Lions in the Euro 2024 final.

After Palmer completed a full pre-season under Alonso, the new Chelsea manager was asked before Monday’s opening Premier League match against Fulham how he planned to help the forward recover his confidence and energy.

“The first step has to be entirely physical; the player needs to feel fully recovered and be 100% ready to give his maximum on the pitch,” Alonso said, in comments reported by the Daily Mail.

Alonso explained that rebuilding Palmer’s physical condition would be followed by work on his confidence and understanding of his role within the team.

“Once he reaches that level of readiness and fitness, confidence comes into play; he needs to feel the effectiveness of the team structure, enjoy his style of play and understand his tactical responsibilities,” he said.

“Cole is truly an exceptional player, and if we want to produce a great Chelsea team, we need to see Cole at his best. That is why we are working to build a strong and stable tactical structure that will ensure the ball reaches him in the right spaces and at the right moments. When that happens, he will make the difference himself.”

Palmer has previously spoken about being left out of England’s World Cup squad, saying the decision had given him extra motivation to prove his ability again.

He also revealed that Alonso contacted him and offered emotional support shortly after England manager Thomas Tuchel announced that he would not be selected. Palmer appreciated the gesture from the new Chelsea boss.

Describing their early conversations, Alonso said: “I told him that this season represents a pivotal moment for everyone and that he can leave a huge mark during this important year we are trying to achieve. But more importantly, I wanted him to feel confident and enjoy the football he plays. It is our responsibility to help him get there.”

Palmer has confirmed that he has recovered fully from his injuries. He admitted that he played several matches last season while suffering from pain in the groin area and said he “should not have played at that time”.

“I feel excellent now; the seven weeks I had off during the summer helped me recover enormously, and I am completely ready to start again,” Palmer said.

Chelsea begin a demanding 2026-27 campaign away at Fulham on Monday. They then host Luton Town in the second round of the League Cup on Thursday before facing Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday.

author avatar
Kwaku Nii

Latest Story

12 minutes ago
Archives

Flick: Barcelona need Rodri’s game management as club pursue new striker

0
0
14 minutes ago
Archives

Federico Gatti’s Juventus season in doubt after fan crashes into defender

0
0
26 minutes ago
Archives

Ghanaian striker Rafiq Aminu joins Masafi Al-Wasat on free transfer

0
0
29 minutes ago
Archives

Ghana midfielder Steven Nufour leaves Criciuma and becomes a free agent

0
0
57 minutes ago
Archives

Hearts of Oak registration restrictions lifted after Hiddink settlement

0
0
58 minutes ago
Archives

Patrice Beaumelle considered for vacant Ghana head coach role

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE