Welcome to Kick Of Ghana, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.
0
0

Hansi Flick opens door to Joao Cancelo return for Barcelona against Elche

Published: 2 hours ago
Archives

Joao Cancelo is in line to make his second Barcelona debut against Elche on Sunday after being officially registered in La Liga, with manager Hansi Flick suggesting the Portugal defender could play a significant role.

According to Spanish newspaper Sport, Flick has told Cancelo that he will be given “specific minutes” in the league fixture, despite having taken part in only two Barcelona training sessions since returning to the club. The coaching staff have not ruled out the possibility of naming him in the starting line-up.

Cancelo’s availability also creates competition with Alejandro Balde for the left-back position. Flick used his pre-match message to underline that every member of the squad must fully commit to Barcelona’s plans.

“I need everyone to be 100% committed to us,” said Flick.

Although Cancelo joined Barcelona late, he has a clear advantage in Flick’s thinking because the German coach has worked with him before and is familiar with his qualities. Cancelo’s usual position throughout his career has been right-back, but Flick has also deployed him on the left, where he impressed during his first spell with the Catalan club.

Flick praised the 30-year-old’s technical ability and his impact in that unfamiliar role.

“He has great technique, he has a lot of passion and he gave us a lot in the position he played. He was always in the right position and at his best level, and he helped us a lot,” he said.

The Barcelona manager also sought to remove any doubt over Cancelo’s physical condition, confirming the defender is available for selection despite his limited time back with the squad.

“He is ready to play and, yes, he can play tomorrow,” Flick said.

Cancelo has trained normally with Barcelona’s first team from his first day back, an indication of Flick’s confidence that he can quickly readjust to competitive football. His potential involvement against Elche would mark his return to the side after a complicated period surrounding his move back to the club.

The Portugal international has signed a contract with Barcelona until 2029 after ending his association with Al-Hilal. The deal encountered several complications before it was completed, but Cancelo said during his official presentation that the previous weeks had been difficult.

He added that he had remained focused on one objective: returning to Barcelona.

Cancelo said he would have been willing to stay in Saudi Arabia without playing for a year if that was what it took to fulfil his ambition of going back to the Catalan club. His imminent return now gives Flick another experienced option in the full-back positions, while also presenting Balde with direct competition for a place in the team.

author avatar
Andrews Sefa Bamfo

Latest Story

41 minutes ago
Archives

Hull City shock Manchester United in Premier League return

0
0
41 minutes ago
Archives

Ghana suffer major injury blow as seven players miss U-20 Women’s World Cup

0
0
2 hours ago
Archives

Hansi Flick opens door to Joao Cancelo return for Barcelona against Elche

0
0
2 hours ago
Archives

Ahmed Ateef urges Al Nassr to use Cristiano Ronaldo selectively in key matches

0
0
2 hours ago
Archives

Xavi Hernandez assembles blend of Dutch expertise and familiar faces for Netherlands role

0
0
2 hours ago
Archives

Quintero Gonzalez handed Barcelona assignment ahead of international promotion

0
0
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE